Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos
These slow cooker carnitas tacos are filled with meltingly tender pork that’s finished with perfect, crisp edges.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours 10 minutes
Total time: 8 hours 20 minutes
● 1 orange, washed
● 1 lime, washed
● 4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
● 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
● 1 cup Culinary Tours Hatch Green Chili Street Taco Sauce, plus more for serving
● 1 tablespoon chili powder
● 1 teaspoon ground cumin
● 1 teaspoon dried oregano
● 1 teaspoon kosher salt
● 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
● Culinary Tours Hatch Green Chili Street Taco Sauce
● Queso fresco
● Corn tortillas, warmed
● Lime wedges
● White onion, diced
- Using a vegetable peeler, take 1-inch-wide strips of zest from orange and lime. Cut each in half and juice.
- Add zest and juice to the slow cooker along with pork, onion, taco sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8 hours, until pork is fork-tender.
- Preheat broiler to high. Place chunks of pork onto a baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Spoon 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid over the pork and broil for 4-5 minutes, or until pork begins to crisp. Stir pork and add an additional 1/4 cup cooking liquid and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove pork from broiler and spoon more cooking liquid over to moisten.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.